Sunday, February 8, 2009
Is God too small in my life?
Do you ever really question if God is big? I don't mean intellectually but really? I would never say if asked that God is small or not working somewhere else but I think in my own thoughts that is what I believe. When confronted with my life in this cozy section of Northern Kentucky, where everyone in my extended family lives, where all I have ever known is, where my favorite church on earth is and where true blue friends can be found; I realize that I am very insulated and comfortable. Do I believe that God knows what is best and that whatever his plan is for me and my family it is really for his glory and our great good? I have everything I could ever want here. What if he calls us to be somewhere else? Do I trust him with my life, my children, my relationships , my spiritual life? This is where I am this morning as I stay home with the still recovering kiddos. Like I said I know all of this intellectually but I feel a deeper need to know it in my heart. ( Watch out I feel a trial coming on:) My prayer is that God would stretch and grow me to be more reliant on him and not just on the comforts that surround me, which are many. I think I need to stop in the book nook and get "When You are big and God is Small" (or something like that) Anyone out there read that one?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Meg,
I know what you mean with that one. After hearing what Blair and Sue shared I thought about it all the more, the comfort of living life without stretching.
I know you will keep your heart and ears open because you won't be able to shut out the big guy when he wants you to act on something.
peg
Hey Meg it's Maria. Thank you for sharing your heart, it's encouraging. When I feel the way you do I focus on the eternal and how truly short our life is here on earth, live it to the fullest! That's tough when we don't always care for what he might be doing in our life. I miss hanging out with you, we need to do that more so that we can be an encouragement to each other. Love you sis!
I've read that one and I highly recommend it. One of my favorites actually. You can borrow mine unless you're like me and like to mark up your own.
send me an e-mail and I'll add you to my blog readers. kris@707.org
mege, that is exactly the thoughts i have had. i think we have stuff come up for change to make us look to HIM and we will grow from it. Most of all, to rely on HIM to know that whatever and wherever we are or go, that we keep in mind that HE is in control, and we can be miserable or accept it as HIS will for our good and HIS glory. i have been searching for comfort myself and have been reading in grudams' theo book, chap 16, on sovernty. howver you spell it. i love you all so very much. like my flesh and blood daughter you are. my best friend and accountabilty girl...
ka
Megan, I've found reading biographies about missionaries really get me excited about God, more then a nonfiction book (I've tried reading When God is Small but as with many books, I get half way through and loose interest). I recommend these biographies: God's Smuggler, Rebel with a Cause, The Heavenly Man.
With that said, I'm about 5 chapters into "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer and that's a good book for seeing how big God is. Hopefully I'll make it further then halfway through this one.
Janelle,
I read The Heavenly Man and absolutely loved it. One of my favorite life changing books besides the Bible. Thanks for reminding me about the biographies! GOOD IDEA.
Post a Comment