Monday, June 21, 2010

Blueberry harvest

     Does 34 blueberries from my own bush make a harvest? This year I have decided that anytime I need new landscaping plants I am going to get ones that can feed us! Why have I not thought of this before? I easily spend $20 perfectly good dollars on some bush or plant that just sits there and looks pretty. Why not get one that can do something for me? As many of you know we live in a little neighborhood with lots of little cape cod houses. We have a nice yard but it does not lend itself to a large garden. There is a gorgeous old oak that shades much of the rear and I cannot quite warm up to the idea of a big plot in the front yard. I have taken a small section against the house on the side to plant basil, cilantro, oregano, dill, tomatoes, peppers and pumpkins. For many this would be enough but I have deep longings to have a big garden that are just not satisfied with this sorry little patch of earth. So as a compromise I purchased a blackberry and a blueberry bush to fill in where some old dead bushes were pulled out. They seem to be doing well but seeing as this is the first year our harvest is a bit meager to say the least. The girls still think it is too cool that we have our own berry bushes. We used our 34 blueberries to make smoothies on Saturday. That was it. All gone. Dang they were good smoothies though. With our extensive blueberry harvesting season over we launched into planting watermelons all over the place. I planted a few seeds on each side of the house in the flower beds. They are starting to germinate and I am really curious to see how they grow.  We have a neighbor that inspired us to try out this random planting method. After Halloween 2 years ago they just threw their rotting pumpkins behind the bushes and low and behold the following summer they had gorgeous pumpkin vines curling in and out of their flowers and bushes. They even harvested about 8 pumpkins that year.
     Our blackberry bush is starting to ripen so we will have to see how many we get from it this year. I look forward to being able to make jams at some point in the future.
     
   

4 comments:

krissy said...

If you want some strawberry plants I will have tons of runners. I think they start sending the shoots out soon. At least sometime before this fall. We just keep using the weed eater on the poor things. They really want to spread out!

The House of Schwartz said...

OOOOHHHH! i may take you up on that. I have to see if I can put them somewhere that they will be able to spread out!

The Talberts said...

Oooh. We're getting blueberries this year, too! I have been dolling them out slowly, a few here and there on yogurt each morning. And our blackberries are on their way, too! Maybe next year we need to garden communally. We have the space to garden, but not enough time to do it up right. Well .. it's not time so much as free hands.
Anyway. Have I mentioned how glad I am that you're back to blogging? So glad!

krissy said...

Just let me know. You'll need space for sure. Or just take a few runners keep them trimmed back. The man at our local nursery said they do well in pots too. They are such a cute plant so I can see that it would look cute too.