Friday, July 23, 2010

Too much to do so little time

Well , things have been buzzing around these parts. I have been documenting it all but am just now getting it all loaded onto the computer. I am quite the procrastinator. Since it has been a while I will try to keep it all in order :) This spring and summer I have been doing a lot of reading. Mostly about food and nutrition which is my current obsessive compulsive subject of study. I have been reading lots of Michael Pollan's books; In Defense of Food and The Omnivore's Dilemma. Both of which were great and got me to thinking more about what we eat and how we spend our food dollars. I also read Animal,Vegetable Miracle a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it also. Last but not least was Nourishing Traditions. My favorite and most thought provoking so far. To sum up and so as not to bore you to tears basically they all say; eat real food that came from plants and animals the way God made them. Sounds simple huh? Until you try to do it. OVERWHELMING. Not much in the local grocery store falls into these categories. Yes, shopping the edges of the store helps but even then I cannot get the grass fed meats and dairy at my local Kroger. So I had to slow down and digest all of my reading.My personality wants to go whole hog and clean out my house and start fresh with new food. Not very practical or responsible. I decided that the best place to start was with my dairy foods. These get used up quickly and I usually purchase them weekly. I was on the prowl for some grass fed whole milk that was not overly pasteurized or homogenized. It took a while but I found it at Whole Foods in Rookwood. It is called Snowville Creamery milk. It is my newest favorite thing on the planet. SOOOO much tastier than the milk I am used to. A half gallon was $3.19. I also purchased a half gallon of Heavy Cream for $7.99. This may seem like alot at first but let me explain my little trick. You can use this cream to very easily make grass fed butter!!! Then you not only have butter, but cream and buttermilk from the butter ( uncultured though). Here is some of the yummy golden yellow butter we made with the neighbor girls.
It was delicious and we even turned it into garlic butter! MMMMMMM.I also came upon this thing called a butter bell. Most of you may already know of this or even own one but it lets you store your butter on the counter in this jar so it stays soft but won't go rancid. The butter is sealed in by the water in the bottom of the jar.


My next giant project is very similar to Kate's. I had to laugh when I saw her last blog post. Check this out:

All I can say is great minds think alike!

5 comments:

Sally said...

All i can say is yummm!

The Talberts said...

How often do you go up to Whole Foods, Meg? Maybe we can petition to get one a little closer? By the time I get all the way up there, my little ones are so far gone that trying to pile all four of them in those tiny carts and careen around the store like a maniac (not to mention the drive back home) is a little too much.

Do you have a deep freezer? We are looking into buying a local, grass-fed side of beef with someone else from church, but I think we are only going to do 1/4 of the cow.

The House of Schwartz said...

Melissa- I do not have a deep freezer. I would love to get some beef that way but have no where to put it. Also, I drive up to whole foods about every 2 weeks or so. Sometimes once a week but remember my mom lives in Kenwood so it is kinda on my way. If you ever want something let me know. It will give me an excuse to drop it off to you and hang out :)

krissy said...

Here is the link to Katie Nuelsen's blog post that I use for tomato soup. http://kentuckykate.blogspot.com/2008/10/using-up-leftover-tomatoes.html
I just add fresh basil. yum.

Kate said...

Brilliant! I would love to read some of the books you mentioned. I recently started buying Annie organic milk because of the scary hormone reports I have seen. We get beef from Uncle Joe, they are grass and grain fed and his grain is not organic or pesticide free but at least I know where the beef is coming from. We dont eat a lot of beef though so I wish I could find better chicken somewhere. I dont understand why better has to be so much more expensive. I have realized that I am not spending nearly as much money now that we are trying to eat better because I dont buy every little thing I see, so we do have more money to spend on better quality.